2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off
Welcome to the 2023 ZBrush Summit!
This year's ZBrush Sculpt Off is open to all ZBrush users. This means you can use any version of ZBrush to create your piece!
Dive in with ZBrush, ZBrushCore, or the Maxon One 2023 Trial version. The road to victory is paved in digital clay as the world's finest gather for the 2023 Live Sculpt-Off!
One Champion will rise to the occasion...WILL IT BE YOU?
THEME: SWORD & SORCERY: A MYTHICAL JOURNEY INTO THE REALMS OF THE Z CHALLENGE!
Step into an alternate universe and explore the possibilities of a digital clay experience like no other. The SWORD AND SORCERY ZBrush Sculpt Off will put your metal, shields, potions, and charms to the test in a full-on ZBrush sculpting experience.
The Sword and Sorcery genre continues to provide fans with iconic characters and creatures. From axe wielding leading men to surprisingly heroic elves and sinister dark wizards, the genre plays a pivotal role in modern storytelling and media production.
Our latest ZBrush Summit Sculpt Off Challenge takes this epic foundation as a starting point while working to provide the opportunity for you to realize your own version of a fabled character from this celebrated genre. Participating in our LIVE 2023 ZBrush Sword and Sorcery Challenge puts you front and center while giving the world a chance to discover your talent.
Your time to step out of the shadows is NOW!
Contestants are required to create an original sculpture based on one of the 2023 ZBrush Sword and Sorcery Challenge character prompts. Remember, your imagination is the only limitation. You MUST adhere to the character prompt guidelines while also ensuring that you follow the rules outlined below. Failure to adhere to the rules in whole and/or in part will result in disqualification.
The 2023 ZBrush Sword and Sorcery Sculpt Off Challenge gives YOU the stage for THREE (3) hours while working to realize an original concept based on one of our Sword and Sorcery ZBrush Challenge prompts. Contestants can choose to create anything from a character bust to a full character model.
Remember, you must maintain a LIVE feed while working for the entire duration of the contest. Loss of internet signal and/or inconsistent streaming will result in disqualification.
2023 ZBRUSH SUMMIT SWORD AND SORCERY SCULPT OFF CHARACTER PROMPTS
RAGNOK THE BERZERKER
Ragnok is a feared warrior with a battle-hardened face. Adorned in furs and pelts along with leather straps and belts, Ragnok traverses the land conquering the weak and meager. Armed with an iron fist and axe of steel, Ragnok’s tribe is feared across the seven realms. Storming villages and combatting rival tribes sees their armor damaged and weathered.
ANGUS THE DRAGON/CREATURE
Angus' skin has been thickened by the ages and countless wars. Breathing acid laced fire means certain destruction for any who oppose them. Angus has lived for at least a millennium. A creature of monolithic proportions with little in the way of fear to stop them.
OLAN THE TROLL
Olan carries armor and a signature sword passed down from the great Galtz. Olan has a strong jaw line and distinct features. Living peacefully until battle calls, Olan is the grandchild of the great Gardner who ruled the Earth realms of the trolls.
DENZEL THE WITCH/WIZARD/WARLOCK
Denzel is cloaked in dark robes and emanates an ominous energy. Sunken eyes and sinister skin are a hallmark of this master of the dark arts. Denzel lurks and waits to bring anyone who crosses their path under a spell while living amid the shadows. The wizard Denzel is rarely seen.
RORY THE ASSASSIN
Clothed in black garments and floating amid the cover of night, Rory works quietly and alone to eliminate those deemed unnecessary. Typically, Rory uses twin daggers to end things without sound. Trained in the arts of stealth and mortal combat, Rory fulfills contracts signed in blood.
YANITZ THE MECHANICAL GUARDIAN
Driven by a complex series of intricate gears and hydraulic pumps, Yanitz is protected on the exterior by a series of iodated plates. The plates were mined in a time immemorial by slaves who worked for the original engineers. Yanitz was built by the last engineers to inhabit the Bardenstry regions beyond the forests of Serenity. A self-propelled being, Yanitz knows not the limits of day or night. No one is safe.
ELEMENTAL (Earth, Wind, Water, Fire)
NIMBURU THE FIRE
Nimburu is a raging fire that bounces from region to region. In humanoid form, Nimburu has crimson red hair flowing from the top of their head. Nimburu is decorated in bracelets and large boots along with other organic accessories.
HORINTHIAN THE WIND
Horinthian is an elemental being comprised of the power of wind. As a humanoid, Horinthian is large and broad in physical construction with multiple layers of garments overlapping one another.
UNIGUMA THE WATER
Uniguma is an elemental comprised of water. Flowing body and ever-expanding structure means Uniguma is without constraint. In humanoid form, Uniguma is gloriously refined with a slick skin and flowing musculature.
CRINMORE THE STONE/EARTH
With an outer epidermis constructed of stone plates and rocks, Crinmore’s outer shell is impenetrable. At nine feet, Crinmore is intimidating but often peaceful lest provoked. Crinmore may have already lived five hundred to seven hundred years.
JUNIPER THE ELF
Juniper hides in the forests avoiding contact with anyone. Long hair and tattered garments made from organic materials provide the foundations for understanding Juniper’s connection to the forest. Juniper is a solitary elf who wants nothing and needs nothing from others.
SCION THE ARCHER
Scion is a light-footed archer with flowing locks of hair who never misses. The precision and accuracy with which they hit targets is unrivaled. Scion’s bow is crafted from the flexible bone of a Warnigian Wobbler. Adorned with necklaces and light armor, Scion moves briskly through trees and other vantage points to take down enemies.
ALON THE KNIGHT
Alon has fought across the entire Zingardian Realm. A helmet with intricate engravings is used to protect a battle scared face. Covered in armor and wielding the Sword of Infinitiy, Alon is revered by the many and hated by the few.
In order to be eligible for prizes in this year's LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off you will be required to stream yourself LIVE while working in ZBrush, ZBrushCore, or the Maxon One 2023 Trial version which includes both ZBrush and Redshift.
Your creation must adhere to the contest guidelines for the duration of the THREE (3) hour timeframe. This stream must take place on either the Twitch or YouTube platforms. To learn more on streaming on these platforms click here.
The full 2023 "Sword and Sorcery: A Mythical Journey into the Realms of the Z Challenge" digital sculpting contest will be streamed live to the public on all Maxon streaming platforms. This includes YouTube, Twitch and Facebook. Our live feed will see the action switch between contestant YouTube and Twitch streams to provide a focused view of the creative process for THREE (3) solid hours!
Date of contest: Thursday September 28th, 12:30PM - 3:30PM PST..
- The action goes live at 12:00 PM PST on Thursday September 28th. Members of the ZBrush Team will kick off the action with a THIRTY MINUTE (30 min) pre-show before signaling the start of the competition at 12:30PM PST.
- We recommend having the stream up in your browser to stay aware of the start of the Sculpt-Off.
- IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY BEGIN EARLY.
- A high-speed internet connection is recommended for a quality stream. You must stream your screen during the competition while you are sculpting to qualify for prizes.
- A webcam is optional.
- If you choose to have a webcam, you must ensure that you and or your background does not include any content deemed to be offensive, inappropriate or in violation of what a reasonable person would consider to be acceptable. Failure to adhere to rules outlined herein will result in immediate removal and disqualification from the event and broadcast.
- Find more information on the speeds and guidelines for Twitch and YouTube.
- In order to be eligible for a prize you must be streaming live during the entire broadcast of the 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off, Thursday September 28th, 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM PST on Twitch or YouTube.
- If your broadcast is not maintained for the complete three hours you will be subject to disqualification.
- ***IF YOU START SCULPTING EARLY ON THE COMPETITION PIECE OR END LATE, YOU WILL BE SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION.***
- If an internet connection is lost or have you experienced a power outage during the 3 hours of the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off, a link to all multiple stream replay videos must be provided. The video replays must have taken place during the 3 hours of the LIVE Sculpt-Off and total time between any replay videos cannot exceed 10 minutes. These streams must show a consistency of the sculpted piece from one video segment to another. Major changes to a model that is not captured in any of the stream replay videos will be a cause for disqualification.
- Your stream channel must be set to automatic recording during the 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off. Follow these links for more information on setting auto recording in Twitch and Youtube.
- Your stream title must begin with #LIVEZBrushSculptOff2023.
- Download the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off competitor graphic to be visible in your stream. This graphic must be visible on your screen for the entire time of the contest.
- In order to qualify for any prize, the recording of your 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off stream must be available on your channel for re-watch until winners have been announced.
- This contest is about original work from you!
- You have 3 hours to complete a single final image that must be submitted on the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off topic on ZBrushCentral.com by 3:30PM PST.
- Your final image uploaded to ZBrushCentral must be a minimum of 1500 pixels in either horizontal or vertical dimension.
- You can only use the following software during the competition: ZBrush, ZBrushCore, or the Maxon One 2023 Trial.
- The ZBrush interface must be visible the entire time of the 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off. A webcam is not required but is encouraged.
- BASE MESH: You are only allowed to begin your sculpt with a file or asset included in the default installation of the most recent version of ZBrush or ZBrushCore.
- ***IMPORTING OR LOADING OF ANY EXTERNAL PREMADE MESHES IS PROHIBITED.***
- BRUSHES: You may use any sculpting brushes during the contest.
- CUSTOM VDM brushes are not permitted.
- INSERT MULTI-MESH OR IMM BRUSHES ARE PROHIBITED. YOU MAY NOT USE IMM BRUSHES DURING THE CONTEST.
- ONLY brushes shipped with your standard installation of ZBrush are allowed including but not limited to default, IMM, VDM brushes.
- PLUGINS/MACROS: You may use any plugins or macros, provided they DO NOT CREATE NEW GEOMETRY OR MODIFY EXISTING GEOMETRY.
- Decimation Master and ZRemesher can be used throughout the competition.
- CUSTOM UI/HOTKEYS: are permitted. You may use Custom UI and Hotkeys.
- BACKGROUND IMAGE: Your background must be a gradient or a solid color. No photos or environmental images should be included in your final image submission.
- All elements in the final image MUST be created during the THREE (3) HOUR duration of the competition.
- Render presets are permitted. You may create render pre-sets ahead of time to ensure the best possible results where your final image is concerned.
- Pre-made custom materials may be used and loaded during the ZBrush Sculpt-Off.
- Custom Alphas and Textures are NOT permitted.
- Images must be rendered within ZBrush with either BEST Render, BPR or Redshift.
- RENDERS: ONE (1) FINAL IMAGE OF YOUR SCULPTURE MUST BE COMPLETED AND UPLOADED TO THE DESIGNATED ZBRUSHCENTRAL TOPIC BY 3:30PM PST. ANY ENTRY AFTER THIS TIME WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
- No personal or commercial logos are allowed on the final image(s) or within the sculpture. Failure to adhere to these parameters will result in disqualification.
- You may use digital reference images while working to complete your piece. Do not broadcast final concept images of the piece you are sculpting during the stream. We would like to keep your work a surprise for the viewers. This will help build anticipation for the grand reveal of your completed sculpture.
- Please keep images 'clean' and do not include any pornographic, defamatory or offensive images for live streaming, this is strictly forbidden. No mature content and please also be sensitive to our viewership. Google "Safe-Search friendly." (Violators will be subject to disqualification and removal from the ZBrush Summit stream.) In addition, the violator is obliged to promptly reimburse Maxon for any damage, including all costs and expenses incurred by Maxon relating to the violator's non-compliance with the Rules and these Terms & Conditions in general.
- All contestants must abide by rules and regulations of the country in which they reside at time of the contest.
- ANY IMAGES DEEMED TO CONTAIN CONTENT THAT DEPICTS RACIAL, POLITICAL, RELIGIOUS COMMENTARY OR ANY OTHER INFLAMMATORY/DEFAMATORY MATERIAL IN AN INAPPROPRIATE MANNER WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND IMMEDIATE REMOVAL. In addition, the violator is obliged to promptly reimburse Maxon for any damage, including all costs and expenses incurred by Maxon relating to the violator's non-compliance with Rules and these Terms & Conditions. INTERPRETATION OF INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL REMAINS THE SOLE DISCRETION OF MAXON.
- Making commentary that is negative in any way towards ZBrush or any Maxon Products, usage of excessive amounts of profanity or acting extremely unprofessional or inappropriate and using pirated software during the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off is strictly prohibited, as well as usage of any copyrighted or trademarked material as part of the final image. Maxon is not to be held responsible for the unauthorized use of any third-party intellectual property (IP) held by the contestant during the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off or any final work created and submitted by the contestant.
- Maxon is not responsible for entries lost, hacked, or damaged during transmission.
- Maxon is not responsible for and will not consider incomplete or incorrect entries.
- By entering into this contest, the contestant authorizes Maxon, its partners, affiliates and associates to print, publish, televise, or otherwise utilize your name, city, state, photograph, or any likeness of you for promotional purposes.
- Maxon cannot and will not give out any results over the phone.
- Any action(s) that violates the integrity or fairness of the contest/promotion is cause for disqualification of contestant(s) at the sole discretion of Maxon.
- Maxon employees, its partners, resellers, distributors and vendors are not eligible.
- Maxon reserves the right to modify, change or discontinue the contest/promotion for any or no reason.
What you win
PRIZES WILL BE ANNOUNCED LIVE.
You MUST submit ONLY ONE (1) final image. To qualify for prizes you MUST post your final image in the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off topic on ZBrushCentral.com.
The requirements for submission are below.
- Your final image must be posted as a reply to the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off topic on ZBrushCentral.com.
- Upload your image to the ZBrushCentral forum at a minimum resolution of 1500 pixels in either horizontal or vertical orientation.
- Background Image: NO BACKGROUND IMAGES SHOULD BE USED IN THE FINAL RENDER. FINAL RENDERS MUST HAVE EITHER A GRADIENT OR SOLID COLOR BACKGROUND.
- Your post in the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off topic must begin with the following:
- Final Submission (Your Name)
- Example: Final Submission Paul Gaboury
- Along with your final image, include a link to your recorded stream.
- All final images must be uploaded by 3:30PM PST on September 28th, 2023.
- ***DON'T BE LATE. LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY PRIZES.***
Talent & Content Release
Since we will be checking in with you during the 3 hours of the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off, whereas you may be depicted and/or your work-in-progress might
be shown during the live stream on all Maxon streaming platforms, giving a talent and content release consent is a prerequisite to participate in live streaming.
In addition, your final work will be posted in the official 2023 LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off topic on ZBrushCentral.com.
Therefore, to be participating in the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off, you grant to Maxon and its affiliates the following talent and content release rights:
Contestant gives Maxon permission to record the contestant and its work during the LIVE ZBrush Sculpt-Off ("Recording").
Contestant agrees that Maxon is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest in and to the Recording, including, without limitation,
all copyrights and other intellectual property rights therein and grants Maxon and its affiliates the right to use the contestant's name, nickname(s), social media handle(s),
picture, likeness, photograph, signature, replica signature, autograph, performance, identity, initials, appearance, voice, biographical information, and other
personal characteristics and information, (collectively the "Materials") throughout the world in all forms and media now known or hereafter developed, and in
all manners, including composite or distorted representations, for advertising, marketing, trade and editorial for Maxon's business. Maxon may assign or transfer
any or all of its rights under this section in connection with a divestiture or sale of Maxon's business. The contestant waives any right to inspect or approve any uses
that may be created in connection therewith, or the use to which the Reccording or Materials may be applied.
In addition, the contestant grants Maxon and its affiliates, successors or assignees an irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide, transferable right and license
(with rights to sublicense through multiple tiers of licensees) to use the final work, including, without limitation, the right to use, publish, copy, modify,
transmit, license, exhibit, broadcast, edit, disseminate, distribute, display, perform, and make publicly available. Maxon Computer may use the final work for social media,
marketing and promotion purposes in particular, but shall not commercialize or sell the final work for profit. The contestant retains
the ownership and all moral rights in the final work and confirms that he/she may grant to Maxon the rights above and shall indemnify and hold Maxon and its affiliates
harmless from any and all claims asseting that the final work infringes a third party's intellectual property or other rights.
- WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED SUNDAY, OCTOBER 1ST LIVE IN LOS ANGELES.
- A panel of industry-leading judges will evaluate all submitted final images and select the 2023 Live ZBrush Sculpt-Off Champion.
- Judges will check to see if contestants have broken any rules or have not aligned work with the contest theme(s).
- Judges will have the authority to disqualify any entry image where they deem the rules to have been broken.
Judges for the 2023 LIVE ZBRush Sculpt-Off will be announced at a later date.
***ALL TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE***
***MAXON RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE RULES AND CONTEST DETAILS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE.***
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Good luck, and Happy ZBrushing!